To see Don Clark’s interview with Paul Sheldon, just click on the video below.
Confused about Medicare?
- We know your time is valuable, so we gather information from you about your specific situation before we meet, so we can have a firm recommendation for you when we meet.
- When we meet, we will present you with a Medicare supplement that is most affordable for you, and a drug plan that will allow you to spend the least amount out of your pocket for not only your drug plan, but also for your drug copays—all while allowing you to go to the pharmacy of your choice.
- Here’s the biggest mistake that most people make when qualifying for Medicare: They enroll with the same insurance company for their Medicare supplement and their drug plan. We will show you why this is usually not only a wrong decision, but one that will needlessly cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars out of your pocket each and every year!
- We will teach you how you can easily know—within 5-15 minutes a year—whether you should stay with your current drug plan, or easily switch to another one for the upcoming calendar year.
- We only recommend Medicare supplement insurance companies that have a financial rating of A+ and that pays its claims within 5 days or less. And, what’s more, we tell you to call us—not the insurance company—when you have a question or a problem. We will usually be able to answer any question you have, but if we can’t, we will call the insurance company on your behalf. This will allow you to avoid the time and frustration of having to call the insurance company yourself, spend a lot of time on hold, and being transferred from one person to another, and having to wind up with a person who is impersonal or who barely speaks English.
- We will alert you if we believe that you will be better served by changing from your current Medicare supplement insurance company to another one.
- We do not exist for the purpose of biting the hands that feed us. We never want you to feel frustrated with your Medicare supplement plan. We insist that you call us with any question or issue. We do not want to be “ out of sight—out of mind.”
We specialize in:
Medicare supplement plans
- Medicare Supplements (Medigap Plans)
After learning about your specific situation, we will formulate for you a Medicare supplement and drug plan recommendation tailored exactly for you! We will only recommend for you a Medicare supplement that is affordable to you, and we will only recommend a Medicare supplement insurance company that has a long history of having an A+ financial rating from A.M. Best Company (founded in 1899).
Call us for a quote!
We offer the least expensive term life insurance from all popular life insurance companies.
We offer 10, 20 and 30-year term life insurance.
Just see the box below that says
“Fast and Free Easy Quote”
and complete information about yourself to get an instant life insurance quote.
Long-Term Care Insurance
If you are under age 65
If you are under age 65 and are in need of an individual or family health plan: As of January 1, 2018 there are only 2 insurance companies offering PPO health plans in Kern County: Blue Shield and Health Net. Kaiser is the only company that offers HMO plans.
If you want a PPO plan, and if it is important for you to maintain your current doctor(s) and hospital(s), you need to call each of them and ask them if they are a PPO provider for the individual plans that you are considering. Once you know which plan(s) they will accept, or if you want Kaiser you can click the icon to “Get A Quote Now”. You will see rates and a general plan description of all the plans offered. You can view comprehensive plan details by clicking “Benefit Details” at the bottom left of each plan quadrant.
Once you have decided on a plan you can enroll by selecting the “Apply Now” icon to complete your application and pay your first month’s premium with your credit card or via bank draft.
Dental & Vision Plans
Group Health Plans
Final expense plans
Are you interested in Health Savings Accounts?
WHAT ARE HEALTH SAVINGS ACCOUNTS?
On January 1, 2004, Congress enacted into law Health Savings Accounts. Health Savings Accounts are revolutionizing health insurance as we have traditionally known it. A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a tax-favored savings account that you can establish through any number of financial institutions. The money that you deposit in your HSA can be used to pay for virtually any expenses that you pay out of your pocket for your medical care, including office visits, prescription drugs, etc. In 2018, an individual can contribute up to $3,450 per year to an HSA, and a family can contribute up to $6,900 per year.Those age 55 and over can contribute an additional $1000 per year. Those covered by Medicare cannot contribute to an HSA.
BOTTOM LINE: With an HDHP, not only will you pay a significantly lower premium than what you pay for a traditional health plan, but you will also spend significantly less out of your pocket for all of your medical and hospital expenses. HSA’s, in conjunction with HDHP’s give you, by far, the best value for your health insurance dollar.
Here is how an HSA works:
An individual, family or business first applies for a high deductible health plan (HDHP). An HDHP is a PPO plan (offered by most health insurance companies) that will typically save you between 30-80% from what you would pay for a traditional PPO or HMO health plan. Once you are covered by an HDHP, you then establish your HSA. You can do this with any number of financial institutions. The amount that you deposit into your HSA is deductible from your federal income taxes, and compounds tax-free, as long as you use the funds for any qualified medical expense. Whenever you incur any type of medically-related expense, your HSA is debited, and this debited amount applies to your health plan’s deductible. What’s more, dozens of expenses not covered by your health plan like lasik surgery, orthodontia, and orthotics for your feet can also be paid for with your HSA dollars. At the end of the year, any money that is left in your HSA automatically rolls over into the new year, and continues to compound tax-free. In other words, the money in your HSA that you do not use, you keep. You can use money in your HSA to pay for non-medically related expenses also (example: buy a car), but if you do so, you will be taxed at ordinary income tax rates and, if you are under age 65, there is a 10% penalty. After age 65, there is no longer a penalty if you use your HSA money for non-medically related expenses. You can select from any number of investment vehicles for your HSA, such as money market accounts, mutual funds, stocks and bonds.
Paul Sheldon has resided in Bakersfield since 1957. He graduated from Cal State University, Bakersfield with a B.A. and teaching credential in Spanish.
Paul holds post-graduate degrees as a Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) and Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) from the American College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
Paul began his insurance career at Walter Mortensen Insurance (Bakersfield) in 1984, and started his own agency in 1986, which he continues to own and manage today. His agency specializes in group health insurance, life and long-term care insurance, and Medicare planning.
Paul is a past president of the Rotary Club of Bakersfield, and a past board chairman of the Salvation Army of Bakersfield.
His hobbies include playing piano and bass guitar. Paul is also a certified Okinawan 4th-degree black belt.
Paul is married to Nesi (pronounced “Neesee”), his wife of 37 years, and is the father of three sons:
Drew: An internal medicine doctor in residency at U.C. Irvine. His area of specialty is critical care pulmonology.
Derek: 2015 graduate San Diego State with a marketing degree. He works for Ship Hawk, and sells shipping software for E-Commerce companies.
Taylor: Attends at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, CA.
Paul is blessed to have Christine Humes, Lynn Smith and Kelli Van Horn —his hard-working, indispensable assistants.
5251 Office Park Dr. Suite 100
Bakersfield, CA 93309
Paul Sheldon, CLU, ChFC – CA Lic# 0659835
Christine Humes – CA Lic# 0F93332
Lynn Smith – CA Lic# OI65229
Kelli Van Horn